This useful one pot recipe only takes about 20 minutes to prepare and can be left to gently cook while you are doing other activities with the children.
For 12 children you will need:
- 6 tbsp oil
- 1 kg of potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1.5 kg of middle or scrag end neck of lamb or mutton OR 1 kg of stewing/braising steak.
- 6 onions, thinly sliced.
- 1.8 L (3 pints) of lamb stock / beef stock
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 turnips, diced
- In a large saucepan heat the oil and brown the sliced potatoes.
- Cut the lamb or beef into neat joints.
- Layer the meat, onion, carrots, turnips and potatoes in a saucepan. Season each layer well.
- Pour over the stock and bring to the boil slowly.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.