Healthy, yet tasty!
For 12 you will need:
- 3 onions, chopped
- Olive oil
- 3 green peppers, chopped
- 3 red peppers, chopped
- 6 large aubergines, sliced
- 6 large courgettes, sliced
- 12 large tomatoes or 2 large tins of plum tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoons mixed herbs
- About an hour before you start cooking, sprinkle some salt on the sliced aubergines and courgettes. When you are ready to use them, wipe off the salty juices. This helps stop the vegetables from soaking up too much oil when they are cooked.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and fry gently until it is soft.
- Add the peppers and garlic, then the aubergines and courgettes. Stir them all together well. Add the salt, pepper and herbs.
- Cover the pan and leave to cook for about 30 minutes. Check that the vegetables are not sticking to the pan, and stir from time to time.
- Remove the lid of the pan and add the tomatoes. Stir well and cook for another 15 minutes without the lid on.
Serve hot as a side dish, or serve with baked potatoes as a main dish.